Monday, March 30, 2009

bright


bright, originally uploaded by Lizzie~Belle.

This past Saturday evening at 8:30 p.m., I turned out all the lights in my apartment, along with millions of others, for Earth Hour. I had meant to post something ahead of time, but a busy day got away from me and I didn't get around to it.

My turning off my lights for an hour didn't make much of an impact, but millions of people around the world together might have. It's a simple thing to turn off lights (and televisions, and computers) that aren't being used, yet so many of us don't do it often enough. This simple gesture reminds us not to be quite so wasteful. The world looks softer by candlelight. Plus, it gave me an excuse to use this lovely oil lamp. :)

1 comment:

Tony said...

Nice picture. I often wish we would have some sort of mandated tv 'holiday', for one day per month at least. Imagine how much things would change: kids would play outside, family members neighbors would talk to each other more, friends would go out and do stuff (not to mention the energy saved)...We spend sooo much of our lives quietly staring into that glowing box...